Wednesday, August 10, 2016

TURHUUS

When everything turns to shit, I thank bands like Turhuus. Thank you Turhuus.



Why did you start a band?
Antti: Just for fun. Turhuus started as a bedroom project in 2008. In 2011 I gathered some of my friends to play a gig. It was fun, so we played more gigs and recorded the Apatia syvenee EP. Years later the project came full circle and I recorded the second EP myself. It's still fun, but it has also become a form of therapy.

Did you have a very clear vision when you started Turhuus and did you get close what you wanted? Or do you even think that it's even important?
Antti: The musical direction and aesthetics of Turhuus were pretty clear from the start. Writing songs is fairly slow because I will discard every idea that doesn't have just the right feel to it. But the earliest songs were actually created quite spontaneously. I recorded some improvised drum tracks and then hastily added the first riffs I would come up with. Oh, the energy and innocence of youth! It's not necessary to have any kind of vision when making music. The outcome is what matters. However, with Turhuus there's a set of limits and I enjoy the challenge of creating things within those limits.

Do you have other therapy projects besides Turhuus and how does the future look like for this band?
Antti: I make basic pop/rock stuff under the name Mikael Huovinen. A third Turhuus EP is in the making, and the latest live lineup has proved to be lethal!

No comments:

Post a Comment